Friday, June 3, 2011

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Last week I was busy hanging out at Disney World on vacation. Mr. Walt Disney himself is on my list of top five people I'd love to meet "dead or alive" (along with Gorge Eastman, a critical part in Disney's success today but that's another story). Only establishing Disney World Resorts in 1971 it is celebrating its 40th year this year, October 1st, 2011 to be exact. So what did I take home as a souvenir? a park map copyright 2011, a space mountain photo (my favorite ride), and of course two pins; "celebrating 40 years of magic spinner" and "The Haunted Mansion" which to my sister and boyfriend was a very tedious painful picking out process. We were in the store close to an hour. The interesting thing that I did not know at the time was pin trading has been a cult like part of Disney since October 1999. Some of the Disney pins can bring in thousands of dollars not to mention the limited edition box set, and cast member only pins. Large trading events are hosted a few times a year, and you can register and rank points with Disney for a better chance at new upcoming limited edition pins. There is a whole culture of pin collecting that I was completely oblivious to. Cast Members all have a pin lanyard and will trade with you but there are some recommended rules and etiquette to be followed. Below are pics of my beloved pin picks.

I picked this pin because it was the only "Adult Ride" we took our little 10 month old on. He was so brave and loved the haunted mansion! Also, the Haunted manision is an original ride that has been at Disney World since the doors first opened day!
Haunted Mansion- Goofy and Donald
Location: Walt Disney World
Release Date: October 3, 2006
Open Edition

This pin choice was very tough for me. There were so many that celebrated the 40th anniversary, but I liked that this one had all my favorite "old school" Disney characters on it (with the exception of Pluto and Chip & Dale)

Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary-Spinner
Location: Walt Disney World
Release Date: Jan 6, 2011

I now know for next time, to buy lots of pins while I am there! The choices online are very limiting in comparison to large stores that are stacked floor to ceiling with pins!

No comments:

Post a Comment